So it has been a couple of days, and you are still pretty excited about owning a legendary piece of accessory that we brought you halfway across the world. Hirbawi keffiyehs are perfect, but we, people, not so much. Especially when it comes to putting food and liquids in our mouth, but they end up on the kufiya instead. Whenever that happens to me, I blame black magic and the evil eye. Regardless of the responsible party, now we need to deal with consequences (hey, when was life fair, right?).
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to be as nice as you possibly can to your beloved Hirbawi kufiya.
- Fill up the sink or a washbasin with cold water.
- Add some detergent and swirl it around to dissolve it in the water.
- Soak your shemagh. You may leave it to soak for a while and come back to it later.
- Move the kufiya around, might do some light rubbing if you have some dirty spots.
- Make sure the area around you is wet, because you are not playing around
- Drain the soapy water from the container and rinse the kufiya a few times with clean water.
- Squeeze the water out of your kufiya but don't apply too much force, especially if you are twisting it
- Fold it in half once or twice and lay it down on a towel.
- Grab one side of the towel and start rolling it up, so all the remaining water gets squeezed out and into the towel.
- At this point, your favorite Hirbawi kufiya might be just damp.
- Now that you've taken the weight of the water out of the kufiya, spread it on a drying rack, ideally horizontally. If all you have is a drying line, you could fold it once or twice and hang it along the middle section to distribute the weight of the keffiyeh equally.
- Take the rest of the day off; that was enough for one day.